Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Meeting with the school principal

Last Friday, I had a frank conversation with my daughter's school principal. After she and the other teachers told me that eventually H. would catch up, I frankly asked her how a child could catch up if instruction is in piecemail fashion, and all kids do is worksheets and not motivating work like the other kinds in the classroom. I told them, very nicely, that I felt that was being done to the kids in the RR is exactly what is often done with ESL students. I said that as a parent, I am concerned because there is a difference between "modified instruction" and "watered down" instruction. And I felt that what my daughter is getting is the latter. We had a good talk, though the keep insisting that kids eventually catch up. My feeling is that probably  the ones who catch up are those who don't have a significant problem. The others are lost in the stats....

No comments:

Post a Comment