Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Standards: Guiding light, but used poorly

Hannah is now finishing first grade. She is a great reader, though she wants to read about the topics she likes: Animals and princesses. Last summer, with her kindergarten teacher, we spent a lot of time helping her learn how to read by reading fun, interesting materials + learning how to decode. Now, my focus is to get her to improve her vocabulary and sentence length. So I am doing a lot of expansions, I expand on what she says + then I ask her to the complete sentence and repeat! Yes, I have her do this so that she produces the complete sentence. We do this as a game. I think it's working.

At the same time, it is clear that kids with special needs are quite similar to ESL students, in the sense that they need accommodation. Now, accommodation is very different from watering down expectations. I do not want the curriculum to be dumbed down. I want it to be modified so that she can access the curriculum. I am hoping to make my expectations clear to the school when I meet with the
principal and teachers of Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment